Mac Running Slow After Updating to El Capitan? Try This
Spotlight: How to re-index folders or volumes
Learn how to re-index a folder or an entire volume for Spotlight.
- From the Apple () menu, choose System Preferences.
- Click Spotlight.
- Click the Privacy tab.
- Drag a folder or an entire volume (your hard drive) to the list.
- If prompted for confirmation, click OK.
- Remove the item or volume you just added to the list by clicking it and then clicking the minus (“-“) button.
- Close Spotlight preferences.
*Re-indexing might take 24-48 hours, so be patient!
Source: Spotlight: How to re-index folders or volumes – Apple Support